Thursday, January 14, 2010

Night Train to nowhere


The new locomotive lodging at the Izaak Walton Inn in Essex, Montana. (Click for larger view.)

I am an unreconstructed rail buff, as everyone who frequents this blog knows. I'll take an overnight train trip at the drop of an engineer's cap, and long slow freights at grade crossings delight rather than irritate me.

But there are limits to my enthusiasm. I have no desire, for example, to pay a premium to spend a night in a caboose lodging at a railroady resort hotel.

Much less a night inside a locomotive, as in the new hotel room built into a retired F45 diesel freight engine at the Izaak Walton Inn in Montana, one of my favorite hostelries. Two hundred ninety-nine bucks a night, three night minimum stay? No thank you.

But who am I to gainsay another railfan's pleasure? If three nights inside a gutted choo-choo floats your boat, to coin a terrible mixaphor, go right ahead.

4 comments:

  1. I agree wholeheartedly with my purist friend. Like the G model trains, fine for kids but annoying for hearing impaired 80 to 90 year olds as it clatters around below the cornice at their weekly luncheon , "Bill" D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer Rm. 4, better rate, better view of the tracks. View from Rm. 4:

    http://trainweb.org/carl/IzaakWaltonInn2008/640/IMG_1003.jpg

    The whole story of our stay:

    http://trainweb.org/carl/IzaakwaltonInn2008

    Enjoy Rochester, Carl Morrison

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonder if GN 441 still smells like grease and diesel fuel? Of course I'm old enough to remember coal dust's smell.
    Carl Morrison

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Henry - have you ever stayed in one of the Pullman car hotel rooms at Union Station in Indianapolis? I remember staying there once as a kid and being delighted with the whole experience.

    ReplyDelete