Monday, December 14, 2009

Squirrel spinner



Squirrel proof? This tree rat doesn't think so.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a cylindrical bird feeder at Walmart. The box guaranteed that it was squirrel-proof. Ha. Within five minutes the tree rats in our backyard had it figured out.

So on Sunday I installed a newly purchased Twirl-a-Squirrel onto the shepherd's hook and hung the feeder from it. As its name suggests, the Twirl-a-Squirrel contains a battery-driven electric motor that spins the device and (supposedly) causes the squirrel to bail out quickly.

I haven't yet seen the thing in action -- yesterday the squirrels were holed up in their nest playing poker -- but found this demonstration video on YouTube:



Let's hope my tree rats get the idea.

But I suspect the device will be more entertaining than effective.

6 comments:

  1. Any readers say they got motion sickness watching the video? Nice job embedding the video into your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could I do that with the bar stool my husband sits on all evening long?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me know if it works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The evidence is circumstantial, but it seems to work. We haven't seen a squirrel on the feeder since Sunday -- presumably they have been spun off while we weren't looking, and learned their lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Henry, I thought you LIKED squirrels. You take so many photos of them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I like squirrels all right. But the birdies need a good breakfast every morning, and this device is simply to prevent the squirrels from hogging the feed.

    ReplyDelete